Down East July 1976

July 1976

The table of contents from the July 1976 issue of Down East.


Owls Head Transportation Museum

By Granby Ames.

300 Years of Maine Architecture

The Berdans of Antiques Row

By Lois Lowry.

Sixteen Miles of Angry White Water

By Steven Powers.

Courthouse on the Kennebec

By Mary Bolté.

Memories of Old Bar Harbor

By Cathleen Sherman Clayton.

Captain Bob Fish of Boothbay Harbor

By Thrasher Thompson Gray.

Runaway Yacht in Camden Harbor

By John C. Calhoun, Jr.

A Naturalist on the Allagash

By Alvah W. Sanborn.

Summer Stock — Where it all began

By Ruth Sargent.


Room with a View

By K.W. Carter.

Calendar of Summer Events

Vacation Guide

Letters to the Editor

North by East

The Down East Enterprise

Down East Bookshelf

Outdoor Maine

By Gene Letourneau.


By Doc Rockwell.

Cover: “Camden, Maine – 1916″ (36″ x 48”), oil on canvas, by Leon Kroll (1884-1974). A prominent American painter in the early years of this century, Mr. Kroll often visited Maine. Reproduced courtesy of Mrs. Genevieve Kroll.