Down East Enterprise employees work in a summer “cottage” called Roxmont, located on Route 1 in Rockport, Maine. From the heart of midcoast Maine we publish Down East Magazine, downeast.com, and the Down East TV Channel, as well as Shooting Sportsman, Fly Rod & Reel, and Dispatch Magazines and their respective websites. Down East Magazine also has a sales office on Commercial Street, on the waterfront in Portland. For general inquiries about employment opportunities, please send an e-mail to our Human Resources Department.
Down East is looking for an ambitious and talented Associate Editor to join our staff at our Rockport headquarters. This is a full-time salaried position. The perfect candidate is passionate about Maine and magazine publishing and is looking to be an essential part of a fast-paced, high-performing creative team. The job requires exceptional editing abilities as well as expertise in magazine publishing and a highly creative mindset.
Day-to-day tasks will include:
• Editing the front of the book, back of the book, and departments
• Assigning stories
• Negotiating rates for articles
• Planning and executing content for the Down East brand
• Writing stories as needed
We are looking for someone with:
• An exceptional voice and writing style
• Excellent editing skills
• A commanding knowledge of magazine publishing
• A strong creative sensibility and the confidence to come up with and suggest innovative ideas
• The ability to multitask and manage many projects at once, all while juggling various deadlines
• An active knowledge of social media, digital, and publishing trends
• A strong work ethic
• Great people skills
• A deep understanding of and love for the state of Maine
Travel around the state is required, as is representing the company at numerous events throughout the year. This is not an entry-level position; it requires a minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in publishing, journalism, or a similar field. Applicants should apply only if willing to commute to or live in the Rockport, Maine, area.
Applications should include a cover letter, résumé, and a portfolio of published articles.
For immediate consideration, please email your résumé and cover letter to:
Meg McLaughlin [email protected]
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE
Many thanks for your interest!
About Down East
Down East Enterprise, Inc. is a multimedia company based in Rockport, Maine. The company’s flagship publication, Down East: The Magazine of Maine is the largest paid circulation magazine dedicated to the Pine Tree State. A digital version of Down East was launched in February 2013. For more than six decades, Down East has been the authority on Maine, and today continues to capture readers’ attention with an insider look at contemporary life in Maine. People who love Maine love Down East.