In the afternoon of July 20, 1963, a total solar eclipse was visible along a path 53 miles wide across the middle of Maine.
From “Symbols of the Maine Coast — Herring Gulls” in our August 1956 issue.
From “On Damariscotta Lake,” in the June 1984 issue. 33 years later, families still take to the water to fish, paddle, or simply splash with the kids.
From “Machias River Log Drive,” in our May 1971 issue. A couple of months after this article was published, the Maine State Legislature passed a law to end log drives for good.
From “Maine’s Merry Gardens” by George Taloumis, in our April 1963 issue.
From “The Real Peculiar Railroad” by Charles Morrow Wilson, in our March 1958 issue.
From “Dog Days in Fort Kent,” by Elizabeth Peavey, in our February 1998 issue.
From “Trekking on Rawhide,” by Robert Deis, in our January 1980 issue.
From “Farmstead at the Crossroads,” by John Lovell, in our December 1979 issue.
Richard Senter writes about the New Meadows ice race in Brunswick, in our March 1968 issue.
Some two miles from the mainland, with nothing between it and savage squalls, the old sentinel has been battered frequently. Civil War-era keepers, according to one account, were afraid for their lives during bad weather because the tower would sway nauseatingly.
Between 1888 and 1895, the light station was moved four times. Its first keeper, Eba Ring, was succeeded by Charles Ames, who was paid $25 a month for lighting the lamps at dusk and extinguishing them at dawn every morning.